12.20.2010

handmade holiday gifts: infused vodka


I really tried to make most of my holiday gifts this year and wanted to make something that could be used (i.e. not something that people would say "this is SO GREAT!" and then either throw it away or stash it in a junk drawer.)

After Christmas, I'll post my "main" project this season, but I want to make sure that I don't spoil the surprise.

I made infused vodkas for my bosses this year and I think they turned out pretty well. This gift takes a few days to make, so start now and you'll be golden for getting it done before Christmas! There are plenty of recipes on-line if you google "infused vodka recipe" but I just kind of winged it. Basically, you put your thing to be infused in an air tight jar with vodka, shake it a few times a day, and strain once complete. I made a habanero vodka (perfect for Bloody Marys) and a mandarin vodka.
Recipe for infused vodkas:
1. Choose a decent vodka (I used Smirnoff...don't use the cheap stuff just because it's disgusting and the super nice stuff may be a waste if your infusion goes wrong.)
2. Measure the amount of vodka for your container (mine found at The Container Store.) and then add a little bit that will be absorbed into the fruit.
3. I used one whole habanaro, seeded and cut into 4 pieces. And I used 1 small can of drained mandarin oranges.
4. Pour the vodka and the item being infused into an air tight container. Cover, give the container a shake to mix up the Vodka and fruit and then store in a dry cool place (I stuck mine in the pantry.)
5. Both of my infusions only took 2 and a half days. Shake a few times a day and you can taste a bit as you go. Some infusions may take a week or more, so check with other sites for infusion times.
6. Once infusion is complete, strain the fruit and pour into final container.

No comments: