9.12.2010

Adios, Speedy

Me and Speedy, 2006ish

Speedy was a good pet. When I was little, I became obsessed with turtles. The natural thing to do was get one for a pet. For my 10th birthday, I got to go to Petsmart, pick out my turtle, buy a tank and all of the fixins and take my speedy home. When I got him he fit in my hand and was probably about 4" wide. Just a baby.

I knew that turtles outlive humans and that Speedy, a Red Eared Slider, would grow to be very large. I had this assumption that Speedy would come to college with me (that didn't happen) and that I would buy a house after college and build a giant pond in the back yard (also did not happen).

Speedy is not far too large to live in an aquarium and really needs more space and attention than I, or my parents, can give him. My parents have been so wonderful to keep him for the past 6 years and take care of him. But it is time for him to move on.

This past Saturday, my dad and I wearily took him to the SPCA's Wildlife Center. I'm so thankful that my dad came with me, because I could not keep it together. I know that he's a turtle and has never shown ANY sort of affection towards me, but he was still my first pet.

The people there were all very nice. First they told me that Speedy was obese! I had no idea I could have a fat turtle!?! But they assured me that he was very well fed and well taken care of. Speedy with go to the home of a lady that rehabilitates turtles and once they are ready, sets them free. The SPCA gave me the lady's e-mail address so that I can check on the progress of Speedy.

As difficult as it was so say goodbye, I know that he will be very happy to have space to swim and to have friends--and maybe a lady friend to make babies with--to play with.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't think i've ever seen a pet turtle that big! It's always hard to let go... but the ASPCA will take VERY good care of him.

Anonymous said...

Awww Emily, you and your blog and your story are precious. It is a very difficult, yet selfless decision to give a pet up for adoption. My family has had to do it before, and it is hard. Please keep us posted on Speedy's progress as well!

-Allison