6.01.2009

yummy cupcakes!



I have learned that making cupcakes makes me super happy. One of my mom's friends was throwing a bridal shower and needed to buy cupcakes. Who buys cupcakes anymore? They are the simplest thing to make! So, my mother offered that I could make them for her. Thanks, mom.

They turned out super cute. I used some cupcake liners from Hey Yo Yo for the mini cupcakes and simple white liners for the larger cakes.

I cheat on the cake part and use a mix. I really try to make all of my recipes from scratch, but for some reason, every time I make cake from scratch I fail miserably! Cookies and pies from scratch...I can rock that. But I do make my own icing. I took the Classic Buttercream Icing recipe from Wilton and made some slight variations:
  • 4 cups confectioner's sugar
  • 10 tablespoons of unsalted butter (softened)
  • 4 tablespoons of vegetable shortening
  • a pinch of salt
  • a couple of splashes of milk

I start by mixing all of the dry ingredients with the butter and shortening in an electric mixer. Then I add a splash of milk to start to bring it all together. I alternate from pouring milk and mixing until I get a nice icing consistency. It is delicious!

1 comment:

postsurggirl said...

OMG!!!! I was the bride for that shower and those cupcakes were AMAZING!!! We ate them ALL!!!!!!!

You have such a talent!!! Thanks again!!!!